Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Signing: Simon Wearing

+5
wilson07
alasher
sparrows left peg
DollyTillIDie
LFC-LCFC
9 posters
Go down
Shakespeares_Theatre
Shakespeares_Theatre

Another Signing: Simon Wearing - Page 3 Empty Re: Another Signing: Simon Wearing

24/6/2013, 21:34
alasher wrote:Amazing what/who you forget isn't it? Nick Rogan would be somewhere near the top of any list I made of the better players we signed from them. I thought that he was top quality, having a future rather than a past when we signed him, whereas the reverse would be true of nearly all the others (Wolfie aside that is)

Paul Jarvis came through our youth system.

We signed Mark Shirley straight after the 4th qual FA cup 2nd replay and Tinsley was manager.  We turned down a £30,000 bid for him from Stevenage a year or so later.

Rob Thomas was our worst ever signing from you , a shocking striker and Mickey Taylor was nearly as bad.
Shrimpsmakemeill

Another Signing: Simon Wearing - Page 3 Empty Re: Another Signing: Simon Wearing

24/6/2013, 23:01
Shakespeares_Theatre wrote:
alasher wrote:

Rob Thomas was our worst ever signing from you , a shocking striker and Mickey Taylor was nearly as bad.

In the two seasons between 1974 and 1976 Thomas scored 74 goals for us and during that period played a good number of games in the back four, so it seems strange to describe him as "shocking". Maybe he just didn't like the air on your side of the river.....

Go on then, what was his actual goalscoring record with you?
Shakespeares_Theatre
Shakespeares_Theatre

25/6/2013, 12:05
After consulting "Light at the end of the tunnel" which has details of everyone who has ever played , he had 2 spells.  1976/77 was his first season before going to Barrow.  Returned 1982/83 but played as a centre back and looked better in that position.
He played 62 (1 sub) league games and 23 (1 sub) cup games scoring 17 league goals and 9 cup goals
sparrows left peg

25/6/2013, 13:47
Others to cross the Blue/Red divide can bring back better memories for some than others like - Iain Swan, Colin Potts, Neil Morton, Iain Cain {played one game for City I think} and er... Jimmy Capstick
alasher
alasher

25/6/2013, 20:29
Shakespeares_Theatre wrote:
alasher wrote:Amazing what/who you forget isn't it? Nick Rogan would be somewhere near the top of any list I made of the better players we signed from them. I thought that he was top quality, having a future rather than a past when we signed him, whereas the reverse would be true of nearly all the others (Wolfie aside that is)

Paul Jarvis came through our youth system.

We signed Mark Shirley straight after the 4th qual FA cup 2nd replay and Tinsley was manager.  We turned down a £30,000 bid for him from Stevenage a year or so later.

I think that Mark Shirley left after Alan Tinsley had resigned. MH was in charge, & the manwhowaskinfedintheback phoned him to see if he could offer any help/advice ( asked if MS was on a contract), but failed to mention during the conversation that he was tying to sign him
Brocker

26/6/2013, 10:24
As well as his appearances at centre back, Rob Thomas also played at least one game for us in goal. During his first spell at the Axe, when Barrie Betts was manager, and Rob was on loan from Blackpool, he played in midfield. Neil Morton was a good player, but seemed to have a bit of a disruptive influence on the side. Barrow fans hated him as he had been the first to leave them when financial difficulties arose.
wilson07

29/6/2013, 09:07
omg ive started a decent conversation instead of talking shite...happydays lol...yeah maybe I was getting giddy about wolfie being better than fearon.....maybe get em both in goal...
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum