Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

League Football For £10

+11
Brocker
alasher
janb
themaclad
wilson07
LFC-LCFC
Global Dolly
Mad Cyril
gaz1889
Conmac End
Shrimpy
15 posters
Go down
alasher
alasher

League Football For £10 - Page 4 Empty Re: League Football For £10

23/1/2013, 18:01
Brocker wrote:
sparrows left peg wrote:Eee when i was a lad !! Well not so actually, more my elder brother says City used to get crowds of 1000 - 1500 regularly in the 60's. Mind the town had factories then where you walk out on one job and get another the same afternoon.
Afraid your brother is dreaming there! Maybe in the early fifties, but in the 60s crowds hovered around 500, with the occasional boost for the visits of Overlune and maybe one or two others. And those who came largely came to moan.

I remember a period in the seventies when we got over 1,000 for (I think) three out of four home games (the odd one being a Tuesday evening match v South Liverpool where the crowd was around 600) The Saturday games were a 0-0 draw (v Stafford Rangers?) a 3-2 win v Northwich Vics, & the last one was a 6-1 drubbing by Wigan after we had been 1-0 up at HT

Happy days......until Brocker or whoever corrects me Very Happy
sparrows left peg

23/1/2013, 18:53
The 6-1 or 6-2 drubbing by Wigan was the first City game i went to. I think Wigan played in all white that day and they had a bloke called Maurice Whittle who had a stormer and scored at least three. That's when i got the bug.
alasher
alasher

24/1/2013, 16:14
sparrows left peg wrote:The 6-1 or 6-2 drubbing by Wigan was the first City game i went to. I think Wigan played in all white that day and they had a bloke called Maurice Whittle who had a stormer and scored at least three. That's when i got the bug.

There was a bread ad on tv that contained the line "magic our Maurice" at the time,which the Guardian unashamedly pinched to headline it's match report.Whittle was brought on as a sub at half time & changed the game(which finished 1-6).
Brocker

24/1/2013, 16:19
alasher wrote:
Brocker wrote:
sparrows left peg wrote:Eee when i was a lad !! Well not so actually, more my elder brother says City used to get crowds of 1000 - 1500 regularly in the 60's. Mind the town had factories then where you walk out on one job and get another the same afternoon.
Afraid your brother is dreaming there! Maybe in the early fifties, but in the 60s crowds hovered around 500, with the occasional boost for the visits of Overlune and maybe one or two others. And those who came largely came to moan.

I remember a period in the seventies when we got over 1,000 for (I think) three out of four home games (the odd one being a Tuesday evening match v South Liverpool where the crowd was around 600) The Saturday games were a 0-0 draw (v Stafford Rangers?) a 3-2 win v Northwich Vics, & the last one was a 6-1 drubbing by Wigan after we had been 1-0 up at HT

The Wigan result suggests it was season '76-'77. I wasn't in the Lancaster area at the time so didn't see those games, but I did see the return fixture at Wigan, where City came back from 2-0 down at half time to draw 2-2, and one letter to the Wigan Advertiser complained that Latics had been outclassed by the visitors. Coincidentally I have described the game in my article for Saturday's programme, a snip at £1-50, in which you can read not only my musings but also Alasher's insights, and much much more. How's that for value? Laughing Mad Shocked
alasher
alasher

24/1/2013, 19:20
Brocker wrote:
alasher wrote:
Brocker wrote:

The Wigan result suggests it was season '76-'77. I wasn't in the Lancaster area at the time so didn't see those games, but I did see the return fixture at Wigan, where City came back from 2-0 down at half time to draw 2-2, and one letter to the Wigan Advertiser complained that Latics had been outclassed by the visitors. Coincidentally I have described the game in my article for Saturday's programme, a snip at £1-50, in which you can read not only my musings but also Alasher's insights, and much much more. How's that for value? Laughing Mad Shocked

....which,if you purchase your copy from myself at the Long Marsh Lane End, will be placed into your welcoming hand by none other than my handsome coffe-providing assistant Mad Cyril,quite possibly under the watchful gaze of Brocker himself. Who could possibly resist such a temptation? (yeah,ok Tony,your bosses son probably could Laughing (get more copies printed Baz)(we are on 10% arent we Tony?))
Shrimpsmakemeill

24/1/2013, 20:44
The Wigan 1-6 game was in October 1977.

The score in the first half was 1-0.

The score in the second half was 0-6.

I suppose that's what you call a game of two halves Crying or Very sad
Mad Cyril
Mad Cyril

24/1/2013, 22:18
alasher wrote:
Brocker wrote:
alasher wrote:
Brocker wrote:

....which,if you purchase your copy from myself at the Long Marsh Lane End, will be placed into your welcoming hand by none other than my handsome coffe-providing assistant Mad Cyril,quite possibly under the watchful gaze of Brocker himself. Who could possibly resist such a temptation? (yeah,ok Tony,your bosses son probably could Laughing (get more copies printed Baz)(we are on 10% arent we Tony?))

No it won't..... unless there's two of me.

Maybe there is two of me, but we usually stick very close together, so it only looks like ther's one great big one.
sparrows left peg

25/1/2013, 13:35
That 1977/78 season is worth noting, not that we finished 11th and Wigan were runners-up, but that shower of shite from over the lune finished 21st.
Mind you we were still shipping goals back then - 82 all told in the league.
alasher
alasher

25/1/2013, 16:27
Mr Mad.....does this mean that I will have to get my own coffee tomorrow?

If so I hope that you have a damn good excuse,and a note from your doctor/mum/wife
Brocker

25/1/2013, 16:34
Mind you, it is snowing like beggary in these here hills. What's it like in LA1? and what prospects for tomorrow?
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum