Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Mills

+4
alasher
Conmac End
Shrimpsmakemeill
LFC-LCFC
8 posters
Go down
sparrows left peg

New Mills - Page 2 Empty Re: New Mills

17/4/2014, 05:22
I've nothing against Jordan leaving for Oz, great opportunity for the lad. But it's the timing and the way it was done that leaves a sour taste. Coming up to the run-in and he was banging the goals in. Left us when it was too late to bring in a replacement. Simon Wills was slightly different as he left midway through the season and we had Walker,Akrigg and now Dodgy as cover. He was also coming off an injury. If we don't make the play-offs {obviously I pray we do}, I think missing Connies goals and presence up front will be a contributory factor because Wearing and Taylor, try as they might, don't cut it for me.
Tobycarvery

17/4/2014, 08:55
sparrows left peg wrote:I've nothing against Jordan leaving for Oz, great opportunity for the lad. But it's the timing and the way it was done that leaves a sour taste. Coming up to the run-in and he was banging the goals in. Left us when it was too late to bring in a replacement. Simon Wills was slightly different as he left midway through the season and we had Walker,Akrigg and now Dodgy as cover. He was also coming off an injury. If we don't make the play-offs {obviously I pray we do}, I think missing Connies goals and presence up front will be a contributory factor because Wearing and Taylor, try as they might, don't cut it for me.

Totally agree. I have no problem with Wills leaving, as we knew he was going, but Connie's departure was totally unexpected and left us with no room for manoeuvre. To inform the gaffer on a Saturday that you are going to Australia on the following Tuesday is, quite frankly, an astonishing piece of crass insensitivity and disloyalty. We can't do anything about it but I still maintain we should never have him back. However, this is where we are now and , as has been said, two wins this weekend and we'll still be in with a shout when Curzon arrive at the Axe.
Shrimpsmakemeill

18/4/2014, 12:28
I would agree with the consensus that DP has done a good job in his first season. The problem is at this level, whether it's DP or any other manager, is that you are attempting to manage with one hand tied all the time. Brocker mentions that now - just four years later - we couldn't afford to pay the likes of Teague, Jarvis and Sharrock, to name but three. All another better-off club needs to do is to put seven days' notice on a player and it's odds on that said player will be on his way.  Just imagine, as an example, that if next season Simon Wearing has banged in 20 goals by Christmas, the chances are that another non-league club with some money behind them (newly wealthy Salford?) will be able to snap him up.

Whilst accepting that Connerton's departure, especially the way it came about, was a bitter disappointment, I don't think it should be held against him for ever. He's a class player at this level and we certainly can't hold the ball up as well without him. Didn't Tony Hesketh walk out on us in 2003 for a better job at Southport?
sparrows left peg

18/4/2014, 15:41
Its that old chestnut - bigger attendances = better wages + bigger budget = possibly players on contract.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum