Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cammell Laird

+8
distantmusic
alasher
cityuntilidie
Brocker
Conmac End
DollyTillIDie
gaz1889
janb
12 posters
Go down
sully

Cammell Laird - Page 3 Empty Comments

9/4/2013, 09:19
janb wrote:First things first, to take a bunch of no-hopers with small gates and get them on the fringe of the playoffs, you have to give Sully a lot of credit.

That said, the league this year is poor/crap/lower standard than previous years. Thats not a knock on Cammell Laird or any other team that are up there but Skem apart this has not been a year of Chesters, Chorleys, Fyldes, Halifaxs, 96 point Lancaster, Wittons, Curzons, Bradford Park Avenues etc etc. Last season, Skem and ourselves both had decent sides and missed out on the playoffs. Lets just reflect that this means Lancaster have been very very poor this season.

As for the game on Saturday,
Did Laird constantly whinge at the referee? Yes
Is it more noticeable because of the scouse accents? Quite possibly
Should their manager be attempting to defend them? No
However, did for instance Danny Gregson get away with leaving one on one of their players? Yes

However I would turn the focus on the refereeing first of all. We saw last night that Wayne Rooney can say what he wants and not get sent off. So if the standard of officiating at the top level is poor, then by the time you reach the Evostik it is an absolute joke. I will say this loud and clear to every referee/fan, YOU NEED TO USE YELLOW AND RED CARDS, don't be scared of them. The referee on Saturday needed to take control early on, he didn't, the players saw that they could get away with lots both physically and verbally, so the game degenerated into a bit of a childish, unattractive mess.

Thank you for your reply's my post was not intended to offend anybody associated with LCFC, it has divided some opinions which everybody is entitled to and I accept those opinionsas they are well put across.

As a manager I have to do what is best for my team and I will support and stick up for them as often as I can within reason, as a frustrated player I know why players get frustrated and moaning on the pitch was one of my weaknesses, that being said it happens every week and I'm not sayin it's ok what I am saying is it has become part if the game, the reason we hear it is due to the lack of noise at grounds due to dwindling attendances across the league.

That's said it's why we love the game to be able to vent your fury, moan at decisions and wonder how a player gets picked everyweek, LCFC need your support and I know your passionate about your club hence the replies.

Good Luck

Sully
alasher
alasher

Cammell Laird - Page 3 Empty Re: Cammell Laird

10/4/2013, 09:01
sully wrote:
alasher wrote:To be fair, Laird were everything that is wrong with football,despite having the best player on the pitch (#10). Disputing every decsion,however inconsequential, wasting time (with the help of hopeless officials).Their two goals were totally out of character with the rest of their performance.If they are pushing for the playoffs,it simply highlights the paucity of this league.No wonder they only get 40 or 50 watching them,once a season is one too many times for me.
We were that bad that we couldnt beat them.
Janb's summation of the game was quite acurate,except for the omission of hooooooof-head tennis-hooooooof-head tennis-boredom (perhaps with a little more boredom)

I never normally go on forums and post comments and I won't use this to comment on LCFC, however what I will ask is 'Alasher' what gives you the right to post such a disrespectful comment about another club. These are the harsh facts, we started this season after escaping relegation and expected to finish just outside the relegation positions this season, a feat in which we have accomplished. We have taken points from teams at the top and bottom of this division and actually find ourselves within touching distance of the top 5, that said we have a striker who has hit the net 31 times this season and have other players who themselves have hit double figures this on a budget which is considerably less than many teams in this division. I find your comments disrespectful to my club but more importantly my players. Whenever I have been back to the Axe I have treated the club with respect and dignity but your comments i feel are out of order. We have also managed to play Fc United In the Fa Cup beat Kendal away in the trophy and push Halifax all the way in the following round, oh and i forgot the semi final of the league cup losing narrowly to North Ferriby away but beatin Skem, Chorley, Marine and Northwich on the way.

I have a strong affinity to Lancaster and would love to see the club back where it should be however your comment about how we play and more importantly the standard of the league is uncalled for.

My advice if you want to take it on board is don't look through people's windows and comment on their furniture when your windows need a good clean themselves, as a player and a manager I have always been honest and respectful win/lose or draw and If I have took the post in the wrong context I apologise but how it reads is unpleasant and lacks the class of a Lancaster City supporter, I await your response !!!!!

By the way good luck for the rest of the season "once a dolly always a dolly"

I'm happy to apologise for any offence caused. Perhaps I posted out of frustration at the (lack of) quality of my own team. I'd be the first to say that you have done exceptionally well this season,and wish you good luck for the future. I do have to say that I dont enjoy watching time wasting by any side at any level,it just drags the game down,as does berating officials. Having said that, it seems that every team in every league does it, so it was totally unfair of me to point the finger sepcifically at CL,and again I apologise.
Brocker

10/4/2013, 12:15
First of all, Sully, you deserve immense respect for what you have achieved at Laird this season: long may it continue.
Secondly, you are held in great affection and regard here--we appreciate how you go out of your way to greet Lancaster fans both at the Axe, and when we travel to Laird, and you may recall that you received applause from the travelling fans at the end of your deserved 1-0 victory early in the season.
In defence of Alasher, you won't be aware that, under a different name, he was lavish in praise of you in the programme for last Saturday's game--and justifiably so.
As you agree yourself, passions run high where footy is concerned, and things are said which, in the cold grey light of dawn, might have been said differently.
Don't let 'em grind you down--not that you would!
CarefulWithThatAxe

10/4/2013, 22:36
What is written in a forum such as this depends so much on the mood at the club. When things are going well (e.g. three years ago), the posts are full of praise for our own players and officials, will sometimes extend courtesy to opposing teams and fans, and won’t even be too unkind (at least not always) about referees and their assistants. When things are not going well (e.g. this season) the posts are unreasonably rude about everybody.

Thus we moan about our own players when they are trying to do their best, we complain about referees the whole time when they too are trying to do their best (and, let’s be honest, are a lot better than any of us unqualified fans would be – it’s amazing that we still get enough referees volunteering when you think of the flak they get, a lot of which they don’t deserve) and we complain about opponents when all they have done wrong is play well enough to beat us – if we were winning a scrappy match 2-1 away from home would we want City to act any differently?

We moan about everybody and everything because that’s what we feel like doing in a season like this and it’s good to let off steam, not because we are privy to some sublime truths. And I think we all realise this. People don’t read posts for reasoned argument.

Anyway, Sully, it’s great that you are still visiting the forum – as you say, once a dolly always a dolly.
SC GenSec

10/4/2013, 23:04
I'm sure I wasn't the only one to shake Sully's hand in congratulation last Saturday, and I'm sure my wife only turned up to get a kiss from the revered man, but what he's achieved at CL this season is breathtaking. Another cracking result on Tuesday night at Trafford, of all places, so I think you can assume, Sully, that if you get any grief on this forum, it's wholly due to jealousy !!!!
Whatever happens in the next few days or weeks regarding our new Manager, Cammell Laird's last two seasons - this one and the last one - would be a good case study for our club. Having a charismatic Manager is, I'm sure, part of it, but CL last Saturday looked like a team that was bigger and better than the sum of the parts - exactly the opposite of the situation at LCFC currently. That probably comes down to coaching and tactics and organisation - 3 characteristics we currently, and manifestly, lack.
The new Manager will need to get a grip on all of these things quickly, because we MUST hit the ground running next season - for all our recent failings, the reality is that the damage was done in August, September and October last year, from which we have not recovered.
Anyway, stroll on Sully, your fan base up here is rootin' for you !!!!!
janb
janb
http://twitter.com/janlbuxton

11/4/2013, 08:45
CarefulWithThatAxe wrote:What is written in a forum such as this depends so much on the mood at the club. When things are going well (e.g. three years ago), the posts are full of praise for our own players and officials, will sometimes extend courtesy to opposing teams and fans, and won’t even be too unkind (at least not always) about referees and their assistants. When things are not going well (e.g. this season) the posts are unreasonably rude about everybody.

I, at least, have criticised Evostik referees for years now, whether we have been winning, losing, or drawing. Whilst I believe in the Respect campaign and am never one of those voices shouting mindless abuse from the stands, and think the level of players abusing officials at all levels is out of hand - I do also think refs need to help themselves as well. And Evostik referees don't help themselves as they don't follow the laws of the game, they leave their cards in the dressing room, and they frequently lack the strength of character to make a decision. At that point I withdraw sympathy from them. And that is the case whether Lancaster win, lose, or draw.

As for playing the way Laird did when 2-1 up. You're right I think most fans would want the same. However again I differ, I think winning in the right manner is important. I think having an identity and being true to it is important. Under Hesketh we had that identity of developing young (Myerscough) players, and a commitment to fair play. Now we are seemingly 'developing' young local players (although whether they are good enough remains to be seen), fair enough, but in terms of fair play we now have no identity at all. As a club, we are just another non-league club now. There hasn't really been anything to make the club feel special and to sell to people this season.
CarefulWithThatAxe

11/4/2013, 10:13
Janb – I agree with you on some of this. I was perhaps being over-cynical about most supporters wanting us to waste time if we are ahead – probably there are many others who feel the same way as you and I do. But we do tend to magnify any suspected time-wasting by opponents in a way that we wouldn’t do for our own players. Cammell Laird did indulge in time-wasting to some extent, but nothing out of the ordinary.

But I don't agree about referees. Sure, they make mistakes (but so do the players and managers!), but I do believe they understand the laws of the game and try to apply them. As for cards, if they keep them in their pockets they are lambasted for being weak, but if they start brandishing them they are lambasted for being overfussy. It's a difficult balance and sometimes, I agree, they don't get the balance right. To listen to some fans you would think that the referee always has a bad game (except perhaps when we win). In my view the ref has a bad game perhaps one time in four – probably a better record than most players!

The Myerscough lads (and the non-Myerscough players as well), under the influence of both Tony and Phil, were not only coached how to play good and attractive football, they were also taught how to play the game fairly, and that did indeed mark us out as a special club until the appalling events of last September. While Tony and Phil were at the helm I was forever trying to persuade people to come down and watch us and got very frustrated when the crowds didn't increase. Now I am surprised that they haven't decreased further then they have done. Many times this season I have found myself wondering why on earth I bother to turn up. I still do, because I am a fan, but I certainly couldn't sell the experience to anyone else.
sully

Cammell Laird - Page 3 Empty Thanks

11/4/2013, 22:45
SC GenSec wrote:I'm sure I wasn't the only one to shake Sully's hand in congratulation last Saturday, and I'm sure my wife only turned up to get a kiss from the revered man, but what he's achieved at CL this season is breathtaking. Another cracking result on Tuesday night at Trafford, of all places, so I think you can assume, Sully, that if you get any grief on this forum, it's wholly due to jealousy !!!!
Whatever happens in the next few days or weeks regarding our new Manager, Cammell Laird's last two seasons - this one and the last one - would be a good case study for our club. Having a charismatic Manager is, I'm sure, part of it, but CL last Saturday looked like a team that was bigger and better than the sum of the parts - exactly the opposite of the situation at LCFC currently. That probably comes down to coaching and tactics and organisation - 3 characteristics we currently, and manifestly, lack.
The new Manager will need to get a grip on all of these things quickly, because we MUST hit the ground running next season - for all our recent failings, the reality is that the damage was done in August, September and October last year, from which we have not recovered.

Firstly Alasher thank you for you response and more importantly it says a lot about you that you can come on here and post an apology and in all fairness I think it's a quality response an typical of a Dolly Blue.

SCGenSec your post and others only reinforces the respect I have for Lancaster City FC your kind words and the fact that you still look at how I am doing fills me with pride that you and a few other fans still follow my career Thank You.

I know only to well the frustration you feel as supporters don't forget I still have an affinity and still look for your results everyweek, I know only to well what it is like when you don't get results (just look at last years table) and Cammell Laird refused to accept my resignation at the end of last season. I have been very lucky this season as the players I brought into the club are not motivated by money they are together for each other, the coaching staff including myself and the club, I have worked hard building a dressing room that wants to work hard and has no ego's or 'big time' attitudes and whoever is lucky enough to get the management vacancy I hope will do that at Lancaster. We set out this season to not be relegated and have exceeded expectations I know this is your forum but whoever comes in needs time and your support and Lancaster will be back reaching for the top of the league and promotion. What has happend in the past has gone look forward to a bright future. Once again thanks for your kind words and who knows what will happen for both of our clubs

Cheers Sully
Conmac End

11/4/2013, 23:08
sully wrote:
SC GenSec wrote:I'm sure I wasn't the only one to shake Sully's hand in congratulation last Saturday, and I'm sure my wife only turned up to get a kiss from the revered man, but what he's achieved at CL this season is breathtaking. Another cracking result on Tuesday night at Trafford, of all places, so I think you can assume, Sully, that if you get any grief on this forum, it's wholly due to jealousy !!!!

Firstly Alasher thank you for you response and more importantly it says a lot about you that you can come on here and post an apology and in all fairness I think it's a quality response an typical of a Dolly Blue.

SCGenSec your post and others only reinforces the respect I have for Lancaster City FC your kind words and the fact that you still look at how I am doing fills me with pride that you and a few other fans still follow my career Thank You.

I know only to well the frustration you feel as supporters don't forget I still have an affinity and still look for your results everyweek, I know only to well what it is like when you don't get results (just look at last years table) and Cammell Laird refused to accept my resignation at the end of last season. I have been very lucky this season as the players I brought into the club are not motivated by money they are together for each other, the coaching staff including myself and the club, I have worked hard building a dressing room that wants to work hard and has no ego's or 'big time' attitudes and whoever is lucky enough to get the management vacancy I hope will do that at Lancaster. We set out this season to not be relegated and have exceeded expectations I know this is your forum but whoever comes in needs time and your support and Lancaster will be back reaching for the top of the league and promotion. What has happend in the past has gone look forward to a bright future. Once again thanks for your kind words and who knows what will happen for both of our clubs

Cheers Sully

Nice one Sully. Once a Dolly Always a Dolly. You remember standing with us in the conmac end when we put morescum out of the Lanc's cup. Happy Days. Very Happy
Sponsored content