Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
alasher
alasher

Buxton Empty Buxton

17/2/2019, 20:36
Excuses first. We were missing a number of first-choice players, and lost Brad Carsley around 15 minutes in due to injury (which I hope isn't long-term) and so had players playing in unfamiliar positions rather than where they would've done better. Best example of this was Simon Wills playing fullback, but also I can never imagine that even Lewis Fensome would select  himself as a central defender.
Positives next. The team showed 100% commitment throughout the game, even when it was quite clear that we weren't going to get anything from it.Team spirit must be sky high, great credit to both the players & management team for that  The support was great too, even at three-nil down.
Negatives. We were second best for about 80 minutes in every department. For the first ten I thought that we were going to have a great game, but that feeling subsided quite quickly. I thought that for some reason our attacking players lacked confidence in themselves, opportunities to shoot were declined so often, loose balls in their box not attacked with any conviction. I was at the far end for the penalty decision which upset everyone, but from what I saw I would've been shouting for it at our end. The second goal came from non existent marking at a corner (which can be excused to some degree by having 2 of the back 4 missing, but marking at a corner is surely a basic tenet of defending?The third one came from a hoof up field that we should've dealt with. Our goal should've been disallowed for an obvious handball, but the officials were of the usual low standard. The better team won the game, their attacking players would've tested our first-choice defence, but they looked suspect at the back & could've been got at. The balls up tp Blinkhorn were woeful, giving him little chance against two big lads.
Bit of a whinge. Buxton time-wasted even at nil-nil, and after they took the lead took it to new levels of gamesmanship. The man with the whistle chose to do nothing about it for the first 75 minutes. At least he wasn't (quite) as bad as his linesman who was frequently several yards behind play.
Onwards, ever onwards, a learning curve hopefully, a blip after our recent good form
mez

Buxton Empty Re: Buxton

19/2/2019, 11:13
Strange non event . Good opening period . Though we would win. Penalty was weird but I did not see it close enough. Second goal was dreadful marking. So we had to come out quick second half , they did and scored game over. . I'm sure everyone at the club knows this but we are right in the mire. To go down would be terrible. Those last minute goals may come back to haunt us ( I hope not). On slightly brighter note Netbusters may be 75 bar better off !!
Big games coming up.
distantmusic

20/2/2019, 09:03
I find myself feeling I could go either way on this one and in the end feel we need to just put it behind us and get on with the job - clearly squad injuries are a big player but Mark has to try to find a way round that. I sense spirit in the squad is high and I think there are positives, particularly in the fact we are not playing twice a week which does help recovery, but we do need this injury situation to turn around soon.
One final point, when you look at the other results Saturday it wasn't such a disaster, alright it was a missed opportunity but most other results did go our way and given the player situation in the team you have to take that as a positive, perhaps look at it as 1 more match behind us with little or no ground lost?
Tobycarvery

20/2/2019, 11:10
Agree that Saturday was a setback, but we should be more than capable of picking up the dozen or so points MF reckons we need to avoid relegation. Games against Hednesford, Grantham, Mickleover and Workington should be winnable. Workington lost last night, so that gives us a bit more breathing space, but we do need to start converting draws into wins and killing teams off when ahead.
South of the river

20/2/2019, 13:48
Killing teams off has been 'rather difficult' as goals have been 'rather difficult' to come by. Obviously, a three, four or five goal thrashing for someone (else I hasten to add) is just around the corner.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum