Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Doctor Jimmy
Doctor Jimmy

The Season so Far Empty The Season so Far

9/11/2017, 11:09
Well we're about 3 months into the season, sitting comfortably in mid table with games in hand and through to the next round of the League Cup, FA Trophy and LFA Trophy and as such feel that we are well on track as we look to push on. Granted the last few weeks have, at times, been a little trying, especially after the good start we made, but all in all I feel there's a lot to be positive about. As regards results we made a great start and we were unlucky not to take at least a point at Ashton United. Indeed after the Ashton game we then won three of the following four scoring twelve and conceding just the one. It was after the Shaw Lane cup game that we started to come off the rails a little. Injuries and nine away games from eleven fixtures was always going to be difficult especially midweek when a lot of clubs come unstuck on their travels. Perhaps we should've done better at Halesowen but as regards the injures and coming up against teams like Warrington and Altrincham away midweek, clubs with far bigger playing budgets than ours, it's always going to be tough. Traveling in this league is, at times, an absolute killer, similar to when we played Conference North a few years back. We are however still looking good at home so that's got to be a good thing. Our record currently stands at played 24, won 12, drawn 6 lost 6 in all competitions. I'd have taken that at the start of the season especially having spent nearly ten years trying to get out of the division below.

On the playing side many of last seasons lads have carried on the good work whist most of the new guys seemed to have settled in well. Powell has been a revelation, Dugdale has been superb down there left and Sam Bailey looks like he has never been away. Charlie Bailey, I feel just needs games and confidence as there's no doubt what a top player he is and along with Harries could perhaps do with a goal or two. Later signings Williams, Hibbert, Fensome and Meulensteen have all settled in well and look sound additions to the squad. It was sad, but not surprising to see Oliver Wood leave. It's always going to be hard filling JC's boots and perhaps the one up top formation didn't suit him as we'd have all liked. Chris Cheetham on the other hand has played just three games due to injury but I find it hard to see how he could dislodge Josh in goal given his excellent form. I personally would like to see another striker brought in but even at this level it's not going to be cheap, even for those players not contacted to other clubs. However I still feel that both Killifin and Williams (yes Williams) are both more than capable of leading the front line and getting goals.

One disappointment is the the gates.  All over 200 but only two over 300 tells its own story. Why people won't come down I don't know. Decent facilities, a decent team, cheaper than average entry fee, we should really be getting 300-400 if not more. I do realise that North Lancs Football, Saturday Premier League lunchtime kick offs, Champions League midweek and people watching other clubs in the region doesn't help but doesn't every club have the same issue?
Anyway there's my thoughts and opinion just thought I'd throw it in and see what other people think.

Last edited by Doctor Jimmy on 9/11/2017, 15:11; edited 1 time in total
Tobycarvery

The Season so Far Empty Re: The Season so Far

9/11/2017, 12:34
Can't argue with any of that,especially as it must have taken you ages to write. As I've said in a previous post, mid-table is OK at this stage and a good Trophy run to hope for. A bit of silverware at the end of the season would be nice. Maybe a few home games against teams below us could see us climb the table.
Doctor Jimmy
Doctor Jimmy

9/11/2017, 12:52
I'd like to see us win the LFA. Not too arsed about the league cup but a run in the trophy to make a few quid would be good.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum