Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stafford

+3
Again
Old Fan
Tobycarvery
7 posters
Go down
Tobycarvery

default Stafford

6/10/2021, 18:27
Wasn't there last night or Saturday, but nobody has commented on last night, which speaks volumes. Four home defeats with no goals scored in any of them. Nearly twice as many goals scored away from home. There are undoubtedly problems to be resolved if we are not to become an also-ran in the league. The interview with Mark after last night's defeat shows that he is determined to work at putting things right, despite some comments to the contrary. We now need to see the players show the same determination.
Old Fan

default Re: Stafford

6/10/2021, 20:58
Well I thought we were poor on Saturday but we were worse last night.

It seemed as if we had 10 outfield players who were doing their own thing with no plan. Yes we do not know what injuries they may be carrying but their hearts did not seem to be in it at the moment.

Going behind in each game must be dispiriting. We never looked like scoring and lacked ideas/quality up front. Was Sam Bailey rested? At least when he is on the field a few crosses go into the box. Charlie Bailey  in previous seasons has been a threatening presence but talk was that he is going on loan to Longridge. Perhaps we need a player to hold onto the ball. Is Blinkhorn still available!!!!!!!!!!!!
Again

7/10/2021, 09:22
Another vapid, dull defeat for Lancaster City a 0-2 defeat to Stafford Rangers of all people. Both goals coming from long balls into our area and a goalkeeper who cannot effectively deal with high balls and still no place for Max. A 3-5-2 formation where so many players don't seem to understand their role within that system. Two mobile full of running forwards, Jacob and Killer starting on the bench, Sam on the bench, we defeated ourselves before we had ever crossed the line. We seem to conced a lot at home to crosses and still insist on narrowing the pitch the only reason for this I can see is to accomodate the 3-5-2 system. For those with strong stomaches here are both goals filmed from behind the goal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh9Es-oi-do
As to way forwards, sit down with the players and find out what formation systems they feel the most comfortable with and when?
Widen the pitch again.
Please note I have not singled out individual players, we are in this together but a little excitment might just help a little.
distantmusic

8/10/2021, 16:33
I wasn't there on Tuesday but note we got another 4 yellow cards. I've been keeping booking and sending off details since 2016/7 since when one of my netbuster pledges was £3.00 for every game where no one went in the book - it proved quite expensive for 2 and a bit seasons but since Mark took over it's been a different story. I always remember TH saying the better your disciplinary record the better your results and that mantra held both him and PB in good stead. I have looked at the relevant totals for the six seasons to date and they are very revealing (red cards shown are straight red) ;-
2016/7 51 games - 22 without cards - 3 reds - 39 yellow
2017/8 59 games - 29 without cards - 1 red - 37 yellow
2018/9 pre MF 14 games - 6 without cards - 0 red - 10 yellow
under MF 37 games - 9 without cards - 4 red - 38 yellow
2019/20 46 games - 6 without cards - 5 red - 81 yellow
2020/1 10 games - 0 without cards - 2 red - 29 yellow
2021/2 16 games - 2 without cards (possibly 4 as I'm missing info at present for 2 games - South Shields being one) - 2 red - 21 yellow

The most annoying thing as far as I am concerned is the financial burden this places on the Club especially when fans are donating money monthly to a Fan's Fund to support the team but there are a number of other equally negative sides to it. Each card adds up to an eventual suspension situation meaning the team has to be changed because a player isn't available and on the above figures that must be a major 'player', equally, I don't believe for a minute that this level of lack of discipline doesn't go unnoticed by officials, even if only sub consciously, and some must surely look for it - reputations can be both good and bad.
The issue was raised at the Fan's Forum meeting with Mark and he referred to it as a 'Paul Dawson question' which is somewhat unfortunate given that he has, to his eternal credit, been a reformed character on the pitch this season, it's not a one player thing, team discipline is vital when the pressure is on and our best recent seasons have been those when our discipline was at it's best. I agree that we haven't had the best of luck this season but season on season this problem is there as the figures show - maybe I'm the only one who sees this as a major problem and at the end of the day Mark must run the team his way but I do believe his job would be a whole lot easier with a better on the field disciplinary record.
BigDD

8/10/2021, 21:13
Interesting read in the bulletin, what we have to remember is Felly tells it how it is, and his record here isn’t too shabby is it, we’d probably be in division 1 without him. It’s a blip, let the lad get on with his job

alasher likes this post

Tobycarvery

9/10/2021, 09:26
Have to agree about the discipline, or lack of it. It's nearly always the case that the most successful teams have a good disciplinary record. I have to agree also that the number of bookings and dismissals can't go unnoticed, and we don't want to be seen as a problem team even before the start of a game. Aggression is good provided it doesn't descend into thuggery.
Old Fan

9/10/2021, 14:17
I see we have a new loanee goalkeeper for today's game. Does that mean that the manager has lost faith in Matt Alexander? Or, perhaps he is injured or has been recalled. Will have to await an update.
alasher
alasher

9/10/2021, 16:46
According to Hyde's twitter the new keeper has made a worldie of a save
Oh & Killer has put us ahead in the 86th minute
alasher
alasher

9/10/2021, 16:47
And as a reply to those criticising MF, I simply can't agree.
DollyTillIDie

13/10/2021, 12:07
I’m not sure what the correlation for discipline and success is. However, I can’t help but think we want to believe it because Tony Hesketh said it. On the flip side, if everyone behaved like Dawson circa 2019, we’d be in a lot of trouble a lot of the time
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum